BENEFITS of massage during pregnancy:
- Improved physiological function (reducing edema, reducing blood presssure and reliving headaches)
- Musculoskeletal pain reduction (decrease strain on joints and muscles that are impacted by extra weight gain of pregnancy, reducing muscle tension and back pain)
- Improved posture (postural correction relieving related musculoskeletal complaints such as low back pain, headache, neck and shoulder pain, foot discomfort and sciatica)
- Enhanced Lactation and increased prolactin production (enhancing mothers nesting instincts and ability to nurture her infant)
- Improved emotional well being (reduce depression and anxiety and increase serotonin production, increasing one’s sense of well-being)
- Improved relaxation skills and self connection (enhancing women’s body awareness by bringing her attention to areas of muscular tension that can relax with body work and focused breathing)
- Increased energy – reducing fatigue, stress and insomnia.
- Increased ability to nurture others- massage provides an experience of nurturing, healing touch, which increases a women’s ability to touch her infant similarly.